Sunday, May 29, 2011

Memorable Cupcakes

With Memorial Day weekend in full swing I figured the cookout my family and I were going to would be the perfect excuse to make the cupcakes I had been wanting for so long.


Honestly, any time is the perfect time to make cupcakes, especially cinnamon
cupcakes with butterscotch icing.  The first order of business was to dump half a bag of confectioner's sugar everywhere (you can skip this step if you are less clumsy than me).


 Cinnamon cupcakes = snickerdoodle cupcakes and they are one of my new favourite things.  And I know, you're thinking that butterscotch icing so does not go with cinnamon, but just trust me and your taste buds will thank me.  Mine also have a special surprise inside that I'll show you a bit later on.


Cinnamon Cupcakes
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
4 tbsp room temp unsalted butter
2 large eggs
3/4 cup + 2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine the baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and flour. In a separate bowl combine butter and sugar in mixing bowl. Add in eggs and vanilla and stir until thoroughly combined. Alternate between the flour mixture and milk and mix until combined.  Fill cupcake pan with liners and add batter to liners until they are 2/3 full.  Bake 16-18 min.  Allow to cool 5-10 min and then remove from pan to cooling rack.  Ice when completely cool.

  Butterscotch Buttercream Icing
 11oz butterscotch chips *
1 cup heavy cream *

1 stick unsalted butter
1/3 cup butterscotch ganache *
1 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp salt
16 oz powdered sugar
splash of milk or cream as needed

*In a double boiler (or a microwave-safe bowl) melt the butterscotch chips with the heavy cream and combine until smooth. 



Separate 1/3 cup from this and allow to cool (should take about as long as the cupcakes themselves.) Then cream the butter and gradually mix in the powdered sugar. As the mixture gets too thick to mix add the ganache, vanilla, and salt. 

 Now, here's my favourite bit. I took an orange juicer (one of the ones you stab in and suck the juice out with) and cut out the middle of the cupcakes so I could fill them.



You can either fill them with the extra ganache or just fill them with icing. Either way, fill up a Ziploc bag with your choice and squirt it in there and then ice the tops of the cupcakes with your buttercream.  Then drizzle with the ganache and you're done!


Sorry for the blurry pic, dogs were attacking my toes...

All packed up and ready to go!
 I'm so happy I finally got to make these. I laugh every time I reach the middle of the cupcake just because the icing comes gooshing out! It makes meh happeh!

Until next time,
Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment